Monday, December 9, 2013

Thanksgiving Recap + KINDA BIG NEWS

Here's what I ended up making for the big day last week:

Farro with Leeks and Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts

So good, so comforting!  This was a hit with both meat-eaters and vegetarians alike.  I think farro is going to be my new favorite grain - it's very chewy and hearty, which is great for these colder winter months.  I loved the mix of brussel sprouts and leeks with balsamic and spicy Dijon mustard.  We had a ton of leftovers, and I found myself adding even more mustard to this dish.  This is something I would make again.

Baked Butternut Squash with Tofu and Kale

This was inspired by the similar dish from Oh Ladycakes; however, I did not have vegan worcestershire sauce, and didn't have time to make my own, so, with help from a caterer relative, we added warming spices to give this dish a more Indian taste (curry, cumin, and garam masala were used heavily).  It turned out good, but not great.  Still, I would probably make again.


Roasted Vegetables - Broccoli, Cauliflower, Beets, and Turnips 

Every year we do tons of roasted vegetables for our Thanksgiving feast and this year was no different. Turnips were new though, and boy were they delicious!  All we did was chop the raw veggies into bite sized pieces and then toss them with liberal amounts of olive oil, salt, and pepper.  The broccoli and cauliflower also got a generous sprinkle of nutritional yeast (side note: if you have not tried roasting broccoli or cauliflower before, please do. It really transforms the flavor of these vegetables into something so great!)



Sweet Potato Pie

I decided to break from tradition and make sweet potato pie instead of pumpkin pie this year.  The pie was okay, but I don't think I would make it again.  It was overly spiced, which is saying quite a lot coming from me, the girl who buys cinnamon from Costco.  I think next year I will stick with pumpkin.

Raw, Vegan Pecan Pie

OMG.  Words cannot describe this pie.  It was amazing, incredible, beyond expectations - everyone agreed.  Also, since it was made from all good-for-you ingredients, I didn't get a sugar rush or crash from eating it.  I will definitely be making this again, soon!


And now for the big news... I'm moving to NYC!  Okay, to be accurate I have already moved to NYC.  I am still in DC for another week wrapping up work stuff, but will be heading up to the big apple for real this weekend.  This is no surprise to my friends and family, but I wanted to officially announce the news here.  It's sad to leave DC, but I'm so excited to explore all the sights, sounds, and eats NYC has to offer, and to share my adventures here!

That's all for now.  I'll be back later this week with a decadent recipe for dark chocolate peanut butter cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment